Spring Cleaning Checklist
Cold weather is breaking and your home is looking to open its doors to spring. While spring cleaning can be cumbersome, we’re here to make it manageable with this checklist. Embrace the weather and freshen up your home to start spring crisp.
DIY Cleaning Must-Haves
Before you start cleaning, it’s important that you’re well prepared. Here are some of our expert recommendations for cleaning must-haves for the home!
- White microfiber towels - These are perfect for spot cleaning, dusting, and more. The white color also makes sure no color is transferred onto surfaces as you clean and also shows how effectively you’re cleaning off dirt and grime.
- Empty spray bottles - Empty spray bottles are resourceful to have so you can make your own DIY cleaners on the fly.
- Liquid dishwashing detergent - While also tough on food grime, a little dishwashing detergent paired with water can be effective at spot cleaning on carpet and also used to clean hard surface floors.
- White vinegar - Vinegar is a great natural cleaner to use anywhere in the house. It’s acidic levels make it tough on grease while diluting with water makes it safe for your home. Learn all the ways you can clean with vinegar here.
- Baking soda - Baking soda can be an effective way to deodorize carpet and mattresses. Be sure to test spot baking soda before use on your upholstery, because different fabrics react differently to moisture and various levels of pH. Learn more about upholstery cleaning in our guide.
- Ammonia - This is another solution that’s good to have on hand for cleaning off dirt and gunk. Remember to never mix ammonia with bleach as the combination is extremely dangerous to breathe in.
- Stanley Steemer Professional Grade Products - We have a wide range of cleaners that make spring cleaning a cinch. Whether it’s spot remover, tile and grout cleaner, or hardwood floor cleaner, you can trust these professional-grade products to be tough on messes but gentle on your home.
Efficient Spring Cleaning Tips
Now that you’re stocked up and ready to go, be sure to make the most of your time! For efficient cleaning, check out these quick tips.
- Clean rooms left to right - Cleaning the room in a specific direction makes you less likely to miss anything and have to go back later.
- Clean rooms top to bottom - Cleaning top to bottom means tackling tasks like dusting first and vacuuming last. Dusting usually pushes dirt and debris in the air until it settles onto the floor. If you dust toward the end, you’ll miss vacuuming up and cleaning away dust that got moved around.
- Clean the toughest room first - Clean the most difficult, or most time-consuming, room first like the bathroom or kitchen. Other rooms afterward will seem much more accomplishable. Also, if you save the hardest room for last, you may not have the motivation to want to clean and skip over it
- Clear clutter first, then clean - Most people tend to declutter rooms while simultaneously cleaning. For better efficiency, focus on decluttering rooms first before actually cleaning surfaces and floors. Once the room is cleared out and organized, it’s much easier to clean in a timely manner.
Spring Cleaning To Do’s
You got the supplies and you got the smarts to budget your time. Now, let’s get down to the nitty gritty! Here’s a spring cleaning schedule to bring in a breath of fresh air into your home.
- Dust and wipe down crown molding and baseboards
- Dust ceiling and wash walls/doors
- Wash curtains
- Remove stains from upholstery
- Clean and disinfect trash can
- Buy new stove drip pans
- Dust China/less frequently used dishes and cups
- Disinfect all knobs, dresser drawers, closet handles, chairs
- Dust and clean all air vents
- Get your air ducts professionally cleaned
- Clean out window sills
- Strip and recaulk anything moldy
- Clean and condition leather furniture
- Clean all glass and mirrors
- Wash bedding and topper
- Clean and deodorize your mattress
- Disinfect pet and kid toys
- Organize clothing and donate what you haven’t used this year
- Sweep outside walkways
- Trim shrubs and bushes
- Wipe down patio furniture
- Sweep and clean all floors
- Scrub grout
- Get carpets professionally cleaned
- Clean and air out rugs