questions to ask when shopping for a cleaning service
Before you select a professional cleaning service - be sure to ask these 3 important questions!
What Cleaning Methods Will Be Used?
Be leery of cleaning methods that can actually damage your carpet.
- Hot Water Extraction - This is known as "steam cleaning" because of the steam you see, but doesn't actually clean with steam. Hot water and cleaning solution are injected into the carpet and extracted with powerful truck-mounted vacuums. This is the cleaning process Stanley Steemer uses, and it is the method recommended by nearly all carpet manufacturers.
- Dry Cleaning - Some companies use a powder, mixed with cleaning solvents that is spread into the carpet with a rotating brush machine. The powder absorbs soils and is then vacuumed up. Though fast, this method is unable to achieve a deep clean and the powder is difficult to completely remove.
- Shampooing - A cleaning agent is applied and whipped into the carpet by a special machine, and then extracted. This is a simple method that can often be done yourself at home. However, without proper vacuum pressure, these machines often over-wet the carpet and leave soapy residue behind that attracts more dirt later. The rotating brushes on these machines can also damage and fray carpet fibers.
What are the hidden charges?
Don't get bait and switched by the hidden charges that they don't tell you about over the phone. Stanley Steemer offers fixed pricing, and we do not charge for things like spot treating, moving basic furniture, use of portable units (in high rise buildings), or even for cleaning small closets and landings off your rooms or stairs. With us, the price you see is the price you pay.
What qualifications do you have?
Many companies do not have the professional training needed to give proper cleaning recommendations for your surfaces. Before you hire, ask about these reputable qualifications:
- IICRC (Institute of Inspection, Cleaning and Restoration Certification) - This is the leading carpet cleaning institute in America who sets standards for the industry. All Stanley Steemer technicians are trained in IICRC methods by IICRC Certified professionals.
- U.S. EPA (Environmental Protection Agency) - This government agency was created for the purpose of protecting human health and the environment. Stanley Steemer's carpet and upholstery cleaning solution is Certified by the EPA Safer Choice program because it is safer to use for your family, pets and the environment.
- Asthma and Allergy Safe - Stanley Steemer's cleaning process was tested by accredited laboratories and is proven to remove common household allergens in three cleaning categories: carpet, tile & grout and hardwood. We remove on average 94% of allergens from carpet, 96.5% of allergens from grout, and 96% of allergens from hardwood.