TIPS FOR MAINTAINING YOUR STONE FLOORS.
Natural stone becomes dirty from the daily wear and tear of life. While regular cleanings are a must, several things should be considered when determining how often to clean your floor, from the amount of foot traffic to whether you have children and pets. In between professional cleanings, you can minimize the damage and everyday wear with proper care and maintenance.
- Place mats in doorways and high-traffic areas or take off your shoes prior to walking through the home to avoid debris that can scratch the surface of your stone.
- Dust, mop and vacuum regularly to remove abrasive dirt and dust particles.
- Avoid cleaners that contain a wax or seal of any kind. Some store-bought cleaners may actually leave behind residues that trap dirt and debris, only making the floor more difficult to clean.
- Avoid household cleaners that contain vinegar or acidic agents. These cleaning agents may damage the surface of your natural stone floor.
- Prevent deep scratches by lifting, rather than sliding or pushing furniture across the floor’s surface.
- Blot up spills immediately with mild soap and warm water to avoid absorption into the porous stone surface. Beverages that contain mild acids (coffee, fruit juices, soft drinks, tea, etc...) can etch the polished surface of a stone and stain quickly.
Remember, Stanley Steemer’s cleaning agents and methods are safe and gentle, but highly effective at getting the job done. We can preserve the beauty of your stone floors— at a fraction of the cost of replacement. From inspection to cleaning to sealing, our trained technicians provide the same exceptional service and attention to detail that has made us the experts in cleaning for 70 years.